Frequently Asked Questions
How many people can I have at my event?
- Education Center Capacity: 50 people total (30 people inside + 20 people outside)
- Pavilion Capacity: 48 people seated with plenty of additional space for mingling 50 -100 people with a mix of standing and sitting rooms.
Lawn Capacity: 50 people
TOTAL CAPACITY: 200 people
When can I have my event?
- Fridays from 3:00 pm-7:00 pm
- Saturdays from 10:00 am-2:00 pm
- Saturdays from 3:00 pm-7:00 pm
You may rent both Saturday time frames, making it 10:00 am-7:00 pm. (The 2:00-3:00 hour in between will be included.)
Please note that your rental time includes the time for you to set up and the time for you to clean up.
There is no access or storage before or after your event.
Rental season: April through November
How much does it cost?
Single Time Slot – 4 Hours
≤ 50 ppl: $300
51-100 ppl: $600
101-200 ppl: $800
Double Time Slot – 9 Hours – Available on Saturdays Includes discounted rate for renting both morning and afternoon
≤ 50 ppl: $500
51-100 ppl: $1,100
101-200 ppl: $1,500
Non-Profit Rate – Must provide proof of Non-Profit Status
20% off of the above rates
Is there a deposit?
Yes. There is a security deposit required to hold your event. It is not included in the rental fee and is in addition to the rental fee. However, it is fully refundable after the event, if the contract terms are met.
- $200: Up to 100 guests with no alcohol or amplified sound
- $500: More than 100 guests
- $500: Alcohol or amplified sound, regardless of the number of guests
Awbury retains a security deposit in the case of:
- damage to the property
- guests staying on-site past the scheduled rental time
- incomplete cleanup
- other breaches of contract
Assuming none of that happens, the security deposit will be returned within 30 days after your event. It will be sent as a check in the mail. If you choose to cancel your event within 30 days of your reservation, the security deposit is retained by the Arboretum.
The balance of the rental cost is due 30 days before your event.
If insurance is required for your event, insurance certificates are submitted at this time as well.
What if I need to cancel my event?
Rental events at the Farm at Awbury are Rain or Shine. If the event is canceled, the entire security deposit will be forfeited. If the event is canceled within (30) thirty days of the event, the entire security deposit and 50% of the rental fee will be forfeited.
If the event is canceled within (7) seven days of the event, the entire security deposit and entire rental fee will be forfeited.
If Awbury cancels the event for any unforeseen circumstances, the security deposit and rental fee will
be refunded in full.
Will the space be private for my event?
Please note that this is a working farm. The public has the right to access The Farm, and resident tenants may need to drive in to tend their animals and plants during your event. While we always keep driving on the farm grounds to a minimum, the roads on the farm grounds must remain clear of
The grounds are open to the public 365 days a year from dawn to dusk.
Your rental is specific to the highlighted areas of the map. You may not block entrances to the farm or wheelchair-accessible pathways. Your assigned host will help ensure that your rental area, as
highlighted on the map, remains reserved for you.
Are there restrooms?
Yes. There are two private indoor bathrooms within the Education Center.
There is also one publicly accessible Porta in proximity to the Pavilion.
Where do we park?
Ample free parking is available on the city streets surrounding The Farm portion of the Arboretum (Ardleigh St. and Washington Ln). Once parked, please walk through either of our two entrances (Ardleigh St. and Washington Ln.). See the attached map for more information.
Special Note: The administrative address of the Awbury Arboretum is 1 Awbury Road,
but that is NOT the Farm’s location.
*** Please ensure your guests go to 6336 Ardleigh Street for all Farm events. ***
May we have amplified sound?
Yes, to an extent. You can have background-level sound and small speakers. Please be mindful of
neighbors and other users on The Farm. Your Host will monitor the decibel levels.
No DJ sound systems or subwoofers are allowed.
May we have alcohol?
- You or guests? Yes, but it must be insured (details below).
- Provided by a third party, like a caterer? Yes, but the caterer must be insured.
- Can alcohol be sold? Yes, but the seller must have a liquor license and insurance.
Please see additional details in the insurances and clearances section.
What insurance and clearances are required?
If you are working with a caterer, we require a copy of their certificate of liability insurance, in the minimum amount of $1,000,000, naming Awbury Arboretum as additionally insured.
If there will be alcohol at your event, we require liquor liability coverage, in the minimum amount of $1,000,000, naming ‘Awbury Arboretum’ as additionally insured.
If you are using The Farm for commercial purposes, we require copies of your certificates of liability
insurance naming Awbury Arboretum as additionally insured, with the following minimum coverage:
- General Liability: $1,000,000 occurrence/$2,000,000 aggregate
- Workers Compensation, if any employees will be on the premises: $500,000/$500,000/$500,000
Obtaining event insurance should be quick and easy. Please see the steps below:
PROCESS FOR OBTAINING EVENT INSURANCE
1. Start your search by contacting your homeowner’s insurance provider. (If you aren’t a homeowner, try your renter’s/auto insurance provider.) They can often extend liability to include event venues for free.
2. If your current insurance provider is unable to extend your coverage to Awbury for the day of your event, you may obtain a one-time Special Event policy through an outside insurance company. Here are a few recommendations:
- The Event Helper (www.theeventhelper.com)
- Markel (www.MarkelInsuresFun.com)
- Direct Event Insurance (www.directeventinsurance.com)
3. The Details:
- Ask to name Awbury as an additional insured
- Coverage should be for $1,000,000
- Send proof of liability – a copy of your insurance certificate – to Awbury via firstname.lastname@example.org or mail: Vivian N. Rowe at 1 Awbury Rd., Phila., PA 19138
If you are running a program that includes children, we require a copy of current child abuse clearances for all adults who will be part of their programs, either as employees or volunteers.
How do I book a date?
- Review this Rental Information Packet and Contract.
- Contact Vivian N. Rowe at email@example.com to see if the date and time of your event are
- Complete the contract and submit it with the required security deposit of $200 or $500 to secure
- Complete payment of the rental fee total within (30) thirty days of your event. If rental payment is
past due, the event may be canceled, and the security deposit forfeited. If the rental agreement is
created within (30) thirty days of the event date, the deposit and balance are both due at the time
of booking. Payments can be made online or by check or cash.
- Show up and have a great event! Awbury will arrange for an Event Host to be on-site during your
event. The Host will greet you, give you an orientation to the space, and close down the facility at
the end of your event. Please note that they are not responsible for any setup or cleanup. Clients
and vendors must cooperate with requests and comply with the requirements of the on-site Host.
The address on any event invitations or materials should be The Farm at Awbury: 6336 Ardleigh Street, Philadelphia, PA 19138.
Please note that there are several addresses for Awbury, and your guests will get lost if they use the incorrect one. In any materials advertising your event (invitations, social media, etc.), please make it clear that while your event is at Awbury Arboretum, it is not hosted by the Arboretum.
Please make it clear in your promotional materials who the public can contact to purchase tickets and
answer questions. Our staff does not handle inquiries for rental event information or ticket sales.
Furniture and Tents
There are tables and chairs at the Ed Center and picnic tables at the Pavilion. There are additional folding tables and chairs in the shed that you may set up and return during your rental. You may bring in additional tables and chairs, but all items must be carried in and out during your
rental time. You may bring pop-up tents for the setup that day, but tents requiring setup or breakdown from a tent company outside of rental hours are not permitted.
The mission of Awbury Arboretum is “to preserve and interpret its historic house and landscape.”
- You may bring in decorations, but please be sure all items are removed by the end of your rental. The following rules apply:
No staples, tacks, or nails may be put into trees or plants.
- No glitter or confetti may be used. They are impossible to clean up in outdoors.
- No open flame, except for birthday candles.
All trash and recycling must be gathered and placed in the appropriate trashcans and recycling bins beside the Education Center building. Awbury will provide trash bags.
If you are interested in renting a firepit, please request a contract. Outside firepits are not permitted.