Employment at Awbury
Awbury Arboretum is a 56-acre historic public greenspace located in Northwest Philadelphia, with a mission to preserve and interpret Awbury’s historic house and landscape, thereby connecting an urban community with nature and history.
Click the position titles below to learn more about joining our team.
Interested in getting to know the Arboretum and growing your skills? Click here to learn more about volunteering at Awbury.
Summer Camp Counselor for Wakanda Camp
Reports to: Lead Counselor, Camp Director
Time frame: This camp session is 1 week long, and takes place for 7 hours a day, Monday-Friday. Camp will run from 8:30am-3:30pm, but counselors will be expected to be present for the half hour before and after for set-up, pre- and post-camp staff meetings, and clean-up (8:00am-4:00pm). There will be a paid training session in late May/early June.
Pay: $17-$19 per hour, based on experience
Location: At Awbury Arboretum, 1 Awbury Road, Philadelphia, PA 19138
- Education: High school degree or equivalent
- Experience: Must be 20 or older. A minimum of one year of experience working with children or in a school setting or in community-based programming for youth.
- Skills: Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to build strong relationships with children; ability both to lead and to take direction; must be collaborative and team oriented; must enjoy nature and the outdoors; must enjoy entering into fantasy/magical worlds
- Abilities: Must be able to walk and stand for up to 3 hours, kneel, teach outdoors in varying weather conditions (heat, humidity, rain, etc.)
- Other: Must have commitment to racial, economic, environmental and social justice; respect for people of all cultures, backgrounds, and gender identities; a passion for working with youth
- Requirements: Must be able to pass all background checks as required by the organization; must agree to maintaining social distancing and other COVID-19 safety precautions while serving at camp; must be vaccinated against COVID-19
About Awbury Adventures Summer Camp:
Awbury Adventures Summer Camp are exciting, challenging, and imaginative day camps that run for 8 weeks (from June 20-August 12), with six 2-week sessions and two 1-week sessions, for children aged 6-14. The camp day runs from 8:30am-3:30pm, Monday-Friday. Campers play, learn, and discover in a fully outdoor setting, unplugged from electronics. Awbury is seeking counselors to work collaboratively with other educators for 1-4 sessions of day camp. Positions are open in several of our camps (please read over the descriptions at the bottom of this page), so let us know if you have preferences for certain camps. We cannot guarantee you your first choice, but we will make an effort to accommodate your interests. This summer both staff and campers will maintain social distancing and will bring masks to camp every day for use in any indoor activities or during sports activities that involve proximity. These guidelines may shift as the City COVID guidelines shift.
Counselor duties include:
- Following the schedule for the day
- Mentoring the teens who are serving at Counselors-in-Training (CITs)
- Keeping track of the campers in your group
- Teaching agreed-upon lessons to camp groups in rotation
- Monitoring wide games played in the fields and in AdventureWoods Natural Playground
- Monitoring children during break time, lunch, and any unstructured play
- Reporting any serious incidents, accidents, fights, or dangerous behavior to the Lead Counselor and the Camp Director
Camp description and dates:
Welcome to Wakanda 7/18-7/22
This camp is based on the Marvel Comics universe of the Black Panther superhero. Familiarity with either the comic books or the movies is a plus. You will lead children on adventures, mine vibranium, and learn about African culture and cuisine. This camp is for ages 8-12.
The Awbury Arboretum Association is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Black and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your résumé and a compelling cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.