Employment at Awbury
Awbury Arboretum is a 56-acre historic public green space located in Northwest Philadelphia, with a mission to preserve and interpret Awbury’s historic house and landscape, thereby connecting an urban community with nature and history.
Click the position titles below to learn more about joining our team.
Interested in getting to know the Arboretum and growing your skills? Click here to learn more about volunteering at Awbury.
After-School Instructor for Teen Training Program
About the “OWLS” Teen Training Program:
The Outdoor and Wilderness Leadership Skills (OWLS) Program is an 8-week, once a week after-school program designed to train young people from our neighborhood in outdoor recreation job skills (whittling, fire building, shelter construction, foraging, water collection, wide games), conflict resolution, emergency first aid, and skills managing preadolescent children. The program will be open to youth from the ages of 15-17 who are interested in working with children in an outdoor setting. Since this is our pilot year, we plan to enroll 12 students; in future, if this is successful, we may enroll up to 24 students. The program will conclude with job interviews for all students, and we will choose 2-6 students to become stipend-paid counselors-in-training (CITs) at our Awbury Adventures Summer Day Camp this summer.
About the position:
The two instructors who will lead the course will be responsible for lesson planning, guidance, mentoring, teaching and demonstrating skills, and evaluating student progress. A basic course curriculum has been developed, but there will be a need for fine-tuning depending on the students.
Title: After-School Instructor
Hours: Part-time, 3-4 hrs. per week)
Reports to: After-school Coordinator
Time frame: The program is 8 weeks long, and takes place for 2 hours one day a week (day TBD) from April 5-May 28. Classes will run from 5pm-7pm, but instructors will be expected to be present for the half hour before and after for set-up and clean-up (4:30-7:30pm)
Pay: $18-$20 per hour, based on experience
Location: Awbury Arboretum, 1 Awbury Road, Philadelphia, PA 19138. Classes will take place outdoors
- Education: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in Education preferred
- Experience: A minimum of three years of experience working with young people or in a school setting or in community-based programming for youth. Experience working in urban communities and Black communities and/or communities of color highly recommended. While experience in wilderness skills is not required, a strong interest and willingness to learn are optimal
- Skills: Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to use word processing programs to create course materials and resumés; ability to build strong relationships with teens; ability both to lead and to take direction; must be collaborative and team oriented
- Abilities: Must be able to walk and stand for up to 2 hours, kneel, teach outdoors in varying weather conditions (cold, wind, rain, etc.)
- Other: Must have commitment to racial, economic, environmental and social justice; respect for people of all cultures and backgrounds; demonstrate a passion for working with youth
Requirements: Must be able to pass all background checks as required by the organization; must agree to wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing and other COVID-19 safety precautions while teaching this class.
The Awbury Arboretum Association is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Black and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and a compelling cover letter to email@example.com for consideration.
Parking attendants welcome and direct guests visiting for private rental events and community programming.
Shifts are most often on Friday, Saturdays, and Sundays, generally 3-6 hours each. Attendants should expect to work 1-4 shifts each month, Spring-Fall, and may choose their preferred dates to work in advance.
If interested, please contact Branda O’Neil at firstname.lastname@example.org.