Awbury Rental – Frequently Asked Questions
What makes Awbury different from all the other rental venues out there?
- Affordability, character, and convenience; located right in the heart of historic Germantown
- Very comfortable, welcoming space – not a corporate “wedding factory” feeling
- Excellent flow among generously proportioned parlors, wrap-around porch, and the surrounding gardens and green space
- Considerate, professional staff to support you in making your event your own
How many people will fit in the space?
The maximum for indoor-only events is 70 people; from late spring to early fall, we can accommodate up to 200 using the porch and lawn. Many renters arrange for a tent in case of inclement weather.
How does catering work?
Awbury offers a list of Preferred Caterers to all renters serving food at their events. These caterers are familiar with our grounds and policies, are properly insured, and offer excellent food in a range of tastes and prices.
- If you wish to hire a caterer from outside our list, they must provide a certificate of insurance and set up a site visit with an Awbury staff member before the date of the event. There is a $60.00 charge for using outside caterers.
- If you wish to bring your own food, you must provide a certificate of insurance coverage. There is an additional $30.00 charge for this option.
We have a side entrance for a caterer’s van, a residential-sized kitchen, and staging/storage areas.
How much does it cost to rent the space?
It depends on the size of your event and the time of year (see Pricing). We want to do what we can to make your event work for you while sustaining our budget.
What does the fee include?
Use of the Cope House foyer, three parlors, covered porch, kitchen (with gas stove, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher), bathrooms, and lawn near the house during event hours. Fee also covers one indoor Host and (for larger events) one outdoor Parking Attendant.
Is a deposit necessary to reserve the space?
Yes. For larger events, we require a security deposit of $200; smaller events require $100. This will be returned to you after the event if everything is left in order and the event did not exceed the rented timeframe.
The deposit is not refundable if you decide not to hold the event here.
Do you have any equipment we can use?
Yes. We have 45 white plastic folding chairs and 10 folding rectangular tables.
How can we get to Awbury Arboretum?
The Arboretum is easily accessible by public transportation: the Washington Lane Station on SEPTA’s Chestnut Hill East Line is directly across from the Station Road entrance to Awbury. SEPTA bus routes 18 and 26 stop on Chew Avenue and the XH bus stops on Washington Lane. If traveling by car, you will find the Arboretum’s main entrance is on the east side of Chew Avenue between Washington Lane and Haines Street.
What about parking?
The guest parking lot at the Francis Cope House accommodates about 20 cars. Overflow parking for another 15 cars or so can be made available along Station Road, located on the Arboretum grounds between Washington Lane Station and Awbury Road – a lovely 5-minute walk from the Cope House. Finally, ample free parking is available on the residential streets surrounding the Arboretum (Chew, Haines, and Ardleigh), a 10-minute walk from the Cope House.
Are there any other rules we should know about?
Please review our policies by downloading our complete info & application here: Event Rental Information